Wednesday, August 12, 2009

The Stranger Albert Camus

I find it strange that I am reading Crime and Punishment while I read this book. They are so similar yet so different. They are both foreign, one Russian, the other French, and the cultural differences exist but at the base of things it is the same. Murder, consequence, and law. Kafka's The Trial comes to mind from Czechoslovakia(?) There have always been men committing murders. Another story I thought of was Bradbury's "Fruit at the Bottom of the Bowl" where the murderer's conscience is so full of strife he is caught at the scene of the crime!
They are not happy books, including The Stranger, yet they all present one of the oldest crimes. I suppose I should read more murder mystery to get more "literary" exposure to the topic. I cannot speak on that genre. But for the literary works, the minds of these great writers when faced with murder break down from thought. But not in The Stranger. This is not an eloquent evaluation of the book. This is merely me working through it! It was fantastic, an easy read, and a wonderful insight to a character with very few descriptors to slow it down. It's almost as if Camus just knew what was going to happen, wrote it down, and then gave it to me to read. It is perfect.
5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment