Thursday, March 4, 2010

In Cold Blood by Truman Capote


In Cold Blood by Truman Capote tells the non-fiction tale of an innocent family of four who were murdered for greed. Capote's writing almost masks the truth of the situation but the characters are too real and some scenes play out too matter-of-fact. The fact that this is a true situation, that the murderers are just young men- they could have been anybody- it's all too frightening for me. The modern sensationalism surrounding murders is strange and Capote may have started it all (?) This book highly disturbed me and for reasons maybe I can't put my finger quite on.
I don't even think I can rate it properly- for what? The story? The writing? The adaptation of the real-life situation to the book? The cutting-edge journalism? The manipulation of people to tell their stories? The exposure of a murder that people would have soon forgotten?
I'll give it a 2/5

No comments:

Post a Comment