Monday, August 8, 2011

Mr. Vertigo by Paul Auster



Mr. Vertigo by Paul Auster is the third Paul Auster book I have read. The strange thing about Auster's work is that I wouldn't recognize it. Each novel is a world of it's own with characters unlike the others. That's talent.

Anyway, Mr. Vertigo was wonderful, it truly was. It was about a snot-nosed blabber mouth kid in St. Louis in the 1920s who meets a mysterious man. This mysterious man adopts him and actually teaches him to first levitate, and later fly. It was simply a joy to read.

So why did I give it 3/5? Because the kid stopped flying after the first part of the book- about 1/3 of the way through. And the story basically fell apart. And then it got worse. Like way worse. Like if the book had started that way I would have thrown it away. I think it was based on Auster's desire to tell the whole life story of the kid, all the way until his death but that was a mistake.

3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment