Sunday, April 11, 2010

Revolutionary Road by Richard Yates



I included both of these book covers because I absolutely hate the cover of the one I read (the movie promo cover with Leonardo DiCaprio.) Some in my American Prose since 1900 class, the class that I happen to be reading the book for, said that the image on the cover didn't match the book and I have to agree. When I looked for other covers I found the one with the people turned away which is so much more consistent. So what's all the rabble about the book covers? I complained about it in my last post and I'm going to complain about it again. They packaged the book as if it's some kind of uplifting love story and it's just not. Put a picture of a god damn syringe or glass of whiskey on the cover, not an intimate moment.



About the book - Yates has a terrific grasp of language. It's painful at times. With phrases like "The floor rode under his feet like the deck of a moving ship" the book is just dreadfully beautiful. The book is about a young family in the 1950's, not wanting to fall into the trap of suburbia.
Intelligent, thinking people could take things like this in their stride, just as they took the larger absurdities of deadly dull jobs in the city and deadly dull homes in the suburbs. Economic circumstance might force you to live in this environment, but the important thing was to keep from being contaminated. The important thing, always, was to remember who you were.

5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment