Thursday, April 22, 2010

The New York Trilogy by Paul Auster


This image is not the cover that I have for this book. Mine is a simple blue and red cover- like a Penguin classic. I adore this older cover and wish they had kept it. Also, I couldn't find an image of my cover- probably because it is so boring.
Dan Beachy-Quick the poet recommended this book to me after he finished reading it and ever-trusting I bought it the next day. I'd never heard of Auster and since it was in the contemporary literature section of the bookstore, I didn't realize it was a mystery.
Paul Auster's New York Trilogy expresses relationships, obsession, writing, detective work, obligation, and mystery. The stories are much more than simple detective stories- often including some existential catastrophe. I loved the experimental nature of the work. Auster became a character in one story. He created a world by weaving characters through the different stories. At one point he named everyone a color. It is all very successful. I enjoyed it and it made me think. It was written well and I felt better for having read it.
5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment