Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor


Well I'll be darned at the number of books I read and don't review. I read this, oh, two months ago, at the end of summer, perhaps in late August? Revati down at Old Firehouse Books in Fort Collins handed me the book and said I would like it. I read the first few pages, wasn't ready for a teen book, then picked it up a couple of weeks later. Anyway, it follows a talented teenage art student who has a chimera (mixture of beasts/human) for a dad. It starts in the present, travels back to an almost entirely new (yet very connected) story, and then ends in the now-enlightened present. After meeting Laini Taylor at the Boulder Bookstore last night, I am more enthused about her work. She has written other things, like a book about a weaver of magic carpets, and uh, yeah I'm gonna read it. It's a great teen book, good characters, good plot though a little disorganized (I couldn't offer a better way to present the story) and finishing up with a horrible ending that could only be solved by, you guessed it, sequels.

4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment