Thursday, October 20, 2011

Can YOU Survive the Zombie Apocalypse by Max Brallier



An adult Choose Your Own Adventure, Can YOU Survive the Zombie Apocalypse by Max Brallier is everything you could hope for. "You" are a couple-years-out-of-college office worker in Manhattan and you're in a morning meeting when the outbreak happens. Do you take a taxi? Run for the subway? or head home to your apartment?
And thus your story begins. Reading this reminded me of all the times I read Choose Your Own Adventures stories before, as a kid. You've got your entire hand marking all the spots where you could backtrack if it was a bad decision, then you read the bad decision first, just to make sure it was a bad decision, then back track and read the right decision. That was what I would have done anyways you think.
The funny thing about Brallier's book is that the bad decisions are actually the best decisions. When I decided to start pounding beers and take a bunch of xanax, I eventually get rescued but, it seems, every time I try to intelligently avoid the zombies, I just end up getting killed. It makes me wonder what kind of decision making and morals Choose Your Own Adventure stories instilled in me as a kid.

4.75/5

No comments:

Post a Comment