Thursday, October 20, 2011

Mr. Fox by Helen Oyeyemi


OH MY GOD.
THIS IS MY FAVORITE BOOK.




I rolled around like a madwoman when it ended. No, I cried, No I don't want it to be over.

Mr. Fox by Helen Oyeyemi is an experiment in imagination. It follows the famous author, Mr. Fox, through his fairy-tale love affair with his own imaginary Mary Foxe. There is no line between reality and fiction, and the disjointed stories don't often add to the understanding of the whole but they are written with such keen observance and clarity of heart that you clutch at them, and live inside them for the few pages that they exist. Oyeyemi's writing is powerful, intoxicating, and clear. It's very rare that I read a book twice- I'm always on to the next thing, but I want to read this book over and over and over again. I want to see what I missed and I want to learn it by heart. I could talk about this book all day and it still wouldn't make much sense to someone who hasn't read it. It's not exactly confusing, just a bit disjointed, but in a lovely and desired way.
This is a great book.

6/5

No comments:

Post a Comment